How can I make my home safe for pets? January 12 2021
Welcoming a new pet into your house is much like preparing for a new baby or an elderly relative to move in. The more thought you put into making their environment safe and comfortable, the more potential accidents you can avoid. Follow these tips to help reduce the risks:
- Purchase pet-friendly furniture and opt for removable cushion covers that are machine-washable. Silk and velvet probably won't wear well in a home with pets!
- If you have carpeted floors, invest in a high-quality vacuum. Do not leave small items lying around your floors.
- Install window screens, baby gates and fences as needed, and make sure animals don't have enough room to crawl behind large appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc.) where they may get stuck.
- Keep your toilet lids closed at all times.
- Make sure all your trash cans, including the ones in bathrooms and bedrooms, are the lidded variety and always keep them shut. Pets can become ill from ingesting many of the items commonly found in our trash.
- Along the same lines, move all foods, medications, cleaning supplies and chemicals to an area that your pet cannot access.
During the adoption process, be sure to get all the information you can about your new furry friend. Ask about your pet's specific history, allergies and propensity for getting into mischief! The more you do to prepare, the happier they (and you) will be in their new forever home.